WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – Ferrum College's wrestling team finished tied for second place at the NCAA Southeast Regional, held Friday and Saturday, Feb. 22-23, at Lycoming College. The event is one of six qualifiers for the 2019 NCAA Div. III Wrestling National Championships, to be held in two weeks.
Messiah won the tournament with 121 points, the Falcons' second team title in as many years. Ferrum and host Lycoming each scored 114.5 points in the two-day tournament.
1. Messiah 121 2. Ferrum 114.5; 2. Lycoming 114.5; 4. Wilkes 106; 5. Johns Hopkins 85; 6. Washington & Lee 82.5; 7. York (PA) 79.5; 8. Gettysburg 66; 9. Waynesburg 64; 10. Averett 63; 11. Penn College 56.5; 12. Greensboro 53.5; 12. Wash. & Jefferson 53.5; 14. Delaware Valley 36; 15. Thiel 27.5; 16. Penn St.-Behrend 25; 17. King`s (PA) 19.5; 18. Pitt.-Bradford 17; 19. McDaniel 11; 20. Southern Va. 10
The Panthers had three wrestlers punch tickets to the NCAA Tournament, including a pair of individual champions in freshman Levi Englman (133 lbs) and senior Blake Rosenbaum (174). Both posted 4-0 records en route to their titles. Junior Mario Vasquez (141) finished second with a 3-1 mark and also qualified for nationals. Vasquez was taken down in overtime to lose his title match.
The top three wrestlers in all 10 weight classes qualified for the NCAA Tournament. Freshman Jalen White (125) finished fourth, closing his season one win shy of a trip to the big show.
Sophomore Austin Smith (149) finished fifth, senior Collin Saunders (157) was sixth and senior Alveno Matthews was seventh. Freshman Braden Homsey (184) and senior Antavian Leary (197) both finished eighth.
BEHIND THE WHISTLE
"I'm very proud of our team effort the last two days at the Southeast Regionals. The team rallied and fought hard as we placed all nine guys that wrestled in the top eight of each weight class, and finished second as a team. This is one of the best team efforts I think I've ever had the privilege of being a part of considering some adversity early on. Levi and Blake each won titles and did an incredible job all weekend. Mario came in as a 5th seed and really looked the best he has all season. All three will be representing us at the D3 Nationals in Roanoke". --Head Coach Nate Yetzer
FERRUM BY WEIGHT
- 125: Jalen White 3-2, 4th
- 133: Levi Englman 4-0, 1st
- 141: Mario Vasquez 3-1, 2nd
- 149: Austin Smith 402 (1 pin), 5th
- 157: Collin Saunders 4-3 (2 pins), 6th
- 165: no entry
- 174: Blake Rosenbaum 4-0, 1st
- 184: Braden Homsey 2-3, 8th
- 197: Antavian Leary 3-3, 8th
- 285: Alveno Matthews 3-2 (1 pin), 7th
BACK ON THE MAT
Englman, Vasquez and Rosenbaum will all compete in the 2019 NCAA Div. III Wrestling National Championships, which Ferrum will host March 8-9 at the Berglund Center in Roanoke, Virginia. A total of 180 wrestlers from six regions across the country will compete, 18 per weight class. Information on the NCAA Tournament can be found at our tournament host site below.
NCAA TOURNAMENT HOST SITE