GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Ferrum College picked up a non-conference men's tennis road win over Greensboro College, winning 5-4 this afternoon at Grimsley High School.
Ferrum took two of three doubles matches to grab an early 2-1 lead. Jacob Glass and Patrick Marsh romped with an 8-0 shutout at #2 doubles, and Andrew Meadows and David Bishop matched that score in the #3 spot.
In singles, the Panthers used a strong performance in the lower half of the ladder to claim the win. Glass, Houston Murphy and Meadows each won in straight sets in the #4, #5 and #6 spots, respectively.
With the team scored tied at 4-4 after eight matches, Meadows' 6-2, 6-1 win over Greensboro's Brandon Jones clinched the match for the Panthers. Marsh and Bishop lost tough three-set matches at #2 and #3 singles.
1. Carlos Barragan (GCM) def. Riley Kern (FCM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Phillip Deutsch (GCM) def. Patrick Marsh (FCM) 2-6, 7-6, 11-9
3. Walker Van Horn (GCM) def. David Bishop (FCM) 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
4. Jacob Glass (FCM) def. Landon Murray (GCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Houston Murphy (FCM) def. Nicholas Coleman (GCM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Andrew Meadows (FCM) def. Brandon Jones (GCM) 6-2, 6-1
1. Carlos Barragan/Phillip Deutsch (GCM) def. Riley Kern/Houston Murphy (FCM) 8-1
2. Jacob Glass/Patrick Marsh (FCM) def. Walker Van Horn/Brandon Jones (GCM) 8-0
3. Andrew Meadows/David Bishop (FCM) def. Landon Murray/Nicholas Coleman (GCM) 8-0
BEHIND THE WHISTLE
"We played well today, but I was very excited to see Andrew get the fifth point to clinch the victory." --Head Coach Rod Baker
Coach Rod Baker's men will be back in action Saturday, April 20, at Emory & Henry College. The ODAC match gets underway at 1:00 p.m. in Emory, Virginia. The Panthers then host Randolph-Macon College Sunday, April 21, in another ODAC match, set for 3:30 p.m.