FERRUM, Va. -- Ferrum College fell 9-0 to visiting Virginia Wesleyan University in Old Dominion Athletic Conference men's tennis action this afternoon at the Burrows-Skeens Tennis Courts
Virginia Wesleyan (10-6, 5-0 ODAC)
Ferrum (3-11, 1-7 ODAC)
Ferrum went in the hole 3-0 after dropping all three doubles matches. Riley Kern and Houston Murphy fell 8-0 at #1 to Mitchell Perry and Nick Gunther, and Jacob Glass and Patrick Marsh dropped an 8-3 match at #2 to Paul Gladstone and Michael Portera.
Virginia Wesleyan then reeled off five singles wins in straight sets, and added the sixth in a walkover. Murphy lost a tough 6-2, 6-4 match to Michael Portera in the #6 singles spot.
1. Paul Gladstone (VWUM) def. Riley Kern (FCM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Andreas Combos (VWUM) def. Patrick Marsh (FCM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Timothy Tep (VWUM) def. Marshall Ownby (FCM), by forfeit
4. Nick Gunther (VWUM) def. David Bishop (FCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Anthony Wilson (VWUM) def. Jacob Glass (FCM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Michael Portera (VWUM) def. Houston Murphy (FCM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Mitchell Perry/Nick Gunther (VWUM) def. Riley Kern/Houston Murphy (FCM) 8-0
2. Paul Gladstone/Michael Portera (VWUM) def. Jacob Glass/Patrick Marsh (FCM) 8-3
3. Timothy Tep/Anthony Wilson (VWUM) def. Marshall Ownby/David Bishop (FCM) 3-0, retired
Coach Rod Baker's team will be back in action Sunday, April 14, at home against Randolph-Macon College. The ODAC match is set for a 1:00 p.m. start and will be preceded by a brief Senior Day ceremony.