LYNCHBURG, Va. -- Ferrum College opened the 2019 men's tennis season with an Old Dominion Athletic Conference road loss to the University of Lynchburg, falling 8-1 at Crosswhite Athletic Club.
Lynchburg (1-0, 1-0 ODAC)
Ferrum (0-1, 0-1 ODAC)
Lynchburg swept all three double matches to grab the early 3-0 lead, then won five of the six singles matches to take the season and ODAC opener for both teams. Riley Kern posted the lone win for Ferrum, taking the #1 singles spot over LC's Bryce Barber. Kern won the opening set 6-2 and led 1-0 in the second when Barber retired.
1. Riley Kern (FCM) def. Bryce Barber (LYNM) 6-2, 1-0, retired
2. Colton Mullins (LYNM) def. Marshall Ownby (FCM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Daniel Christian (LYNM) def. Patrick Marsh (FCM) 6-0, 6-2
4. Nick Savino (LYNM) def. Jacob Glass (FCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Vincent Oliver (LYNM) def. Andrew Meadows (FCM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Brad Carson (LYNM) def. Moore Dolue (FCM) 6-1, 6-0
1. Daniel Christian/Nick Savino (LYNM) def. Marshall Ownby/Riley Kern (FCM) 8-6
2. Bryce Barber/Shawn Ikegami (LYNM) def. Patrick Marsh/Jacob Glass (FCM) 8-1
3. Colton Mullins/Vincent Oliver (LYNM) def. Moore Dolue/Andrew Meadows (FCM) 8-0
BEHIND THE WHISTLE
"Being a young squad, I felt like we battled well. The matches were closer then the scores let on and Riley had a huge win for us. Very proud of the guys." --Head Coach Rod Baker
Baker's team will host Randolph College Sunday, Feb. 24. The ODAC match is scheduled to get underway at 1:00 p.m. at the Burrows-Skeens Tennis Courts. The match will be a league doubleheader with the women's match being played at the same time.